Located in the City of London, Fenchurch Street runs between Aldgate to the east and Lombard Street and Gracechurch Street in the west. With a predominately urban feel, Fenchurch Street is lined by a number of office buildings. Strongly rooted in the historical evolution of London, today the street is home to several offices, pubs and shops.
Much of Fenchurch Street has been gradually replaced with office towers and shops. Originally built where Roman London once thrived, Fenchurch Street has constantly evolved throughout its history. At the western end of the street at the junction with Lime Street, St. Dionis Backchurch once welcomed parishioners. The medieval church was rebuilt after the Great Fire of London in 1666 and eventually demolished in 1878. St. Benet’s Church at the southwest corner of Fenchurch Street and Gracechurch has also been removed, replaced by shops and offices.
First mentioned in the City Books in 1276, Fenchurch Street was originally known as Fancherche. Its name is derived from fenny or Moorish ground. The street is linked to many historical figures and events. William Wallace, a leader of the Wars of Scottish Independence, was first imprisoned in London at the home of William de Leyre on Fenchurch Street. According to tradition, Queen Elizabeth had a meal at the King’s Head Tavern on Number 53 after she was released from the Tower of London. A metal dish used by Elizabeth remains on display at the rebuilt pub. Andrew Ramsay, the brother of Viscount Haddington, was killed on the street in 1616. In 2012, Fenchurch Street also formed part of the men’s and women’s marathon races during the London Olympic Games.
One of Fenchurch Street’s most impressive office buildings is Plantation Place. Once the hub of the tea trade, the office development now includes the headquaters of several insurance and consulting firms. Completed in 2004, it extends from Fenchurch Street to Mincing Lane and Rood Lane. Plantation Place is 68 metres in height and features 3,000 square metres of roof gardens with panoramic views of the city’s financial district. Found near Plantation Place is the 160-metres skyscraper 20 Fenchurch Street. Scheduled for completion in 2014, the stylish tower has been nicknamed the Walkie-Talkie and the Pint due to its unique bulbous, top-heavy shape.
Fenchurch Street is also home to a number of historic and listed buildings. At Number 71, Lloyd’s Register of Shipping is a Grade II* listed building with a 1901 façade designed by Thomas Edward Collcutt. The building mixes contemporary design with an extension built behind the façade. Built in 1999, the modern portion of the building was designed by Richard Rogers. Another historic feature of the street is the Aldgate Pump at the eastern edge. This historic water pump is a Grade II listed structure and has stood at its current locations since 1876. The pump has been a fixture in London since the reign of King John of England in the 13th century.
South of Fenchurch Street is the Fenchurch Street railway station. Located at the eastern portion of the road, the railway station provides passenger services to east London and south Essex. A bustling but relatively small station, Fenchurch Street features a grey stock brick façade and a rounded gable roof. Fenchurch, a skater clothing brand based in Acton, is named after Fenchurch Street station.
Fenchurch Street itself is served by London bus route 40, which runs the length of the street. Although no tube station is located on Fenchurch Street, Tower Hill and Monument underground stations are located within walking distance of the street.
More about Fenchurch Street:
Located just off Fenchurch Street, Caravagio was formally opened by Luciano Pavarotti in 1996 and is considered as the most serious Italian restaurant in the City.
The East India Arms at 67 Fenchurch Street sits on a site steeped in history; located next door to the former premises of the British East India Trading Company.
Find five star office accommodation in and around Fenchurch Street area on LondonOfficeSpace.com.